This recipe for sausage casserole is great, hearty, comfort food at its very best. It is easy to make and is sure to be a regular family favorite. Serve it with crusty bread or fried potatoes.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large celery stick, finely chopped
2 peppers (any color), cut into chunks
8 pork sausages
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp chili flakes
2 x cans chopped tomatoes
1 x can cannellini beans, drained
1. In a casserole dish, heat the oil over medium and add the onion. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to go translucent.
2. Next, in go the celery, garlic and peppers. Stir the mixture really well and cook it for another 5 minutes.
3. Now you’ll need to turn the heat up to high before you add the sausages. Browning them all over should take just a few minutes.
4. Reduce the heat back down to medium and sprinkle in the spices. Season it well.
5. Pour the tomatoes over the mix and bring it all to a simmer. Cover it up and simmer it for about 40mins giving it a bit of a stir every now and then to make sure it doesn’t stick.
6. The final step is to add the beans. Make sure they are heated through, about 10 minutes. Taste to season and that’s it.