This Thai inspired recipe of Stir-Fried Chicken with Chilies and Basil is a sure-fire crowd pleaser. The chilies give a big kick to what was already a winning formula.
Tweak the number of chilies according to your liking. For me, I like to add a few more…
2 tbsp vegetable oil
450g boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
3 tbsp coarsely chopped garlic
3 tbsp finely sliced shallots
3 fresh green or red chilies, seeded and finely shredded
2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
2 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
a large handful of Thai or ordinary basil leaves
1. Heat a wok or large frying pan until it is very hot, then add 1 tbsp of the oil.
2. When it is very hot, add the chicken and stir-fry over a high heat for 8-10 minutes, until browned all over.
3. Using a slotted spoon, take the chicken from the pan and set aside.
4. Reheat the wok and add the remaining oil.
5. Toss in the garlic and shallots and stir fry for 3 minutes, until golden brown.
6. Return the chicken to the wok and add the chillies, fish sauce, dark soy sauce and sugar.
7. Stir fry over a high heat for a further 8-10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
8. Stir in the basil leaves and serve at once.