Well put together fried rice, accompanied by a small bowl of soy sauce and sliced chili is like comfort food for the soul. This delicious recipe, made with pineapple and pork, ticks all the right boxes to give it that authentic Chinese taste and has just the right combination of ingredients making it very moreish. Have a go and let me know what you think.
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoons canola oil
4 ounces ground pork
3 small Chinese sausages (5 ounces), thinly sliced
3 scallions, white parts minced and green parts sliced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 hot red chili, seeded and minced
4 cups cold cooked jasmine rice or other long-grain white rice
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup finely diced fresh pineapple
1. In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the hoisin and vinegar.
2. Heat a wok or large skillet. Add the oil and heat until smoking.
3. Add the pork and Chinese sausages and cook over high heat, stirring, until the pork is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the minced scallion whites, ginger, garlic and chili and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
5. Add the rice, breaking up any lumps with your hands as you add it to the wok, and stir-fry until heated through and lightly browned in spots.
6. Stir the hoisin and soy sauce, add it to the wok and stir-fry until nearly absorbed, about 2 minutes.
7. Stir in the scallion greens, cilantro and pineapple. Transfer the fried rice to bowls and serve.