Pad Thai is almost a national institution of Thailand. Those who visit Thailand come back with fond memories of the street-food that they have sampled there. Pad Thai is always up at the top of the list along with green curries and spicy pork with holy basil. This delicious recipe aims to bring the street flavors of Thailand to your kitchen. Give it a go and let me know what you think.
125g (half a 250g pack) rice noodles
3 tbsp lime juice about 2 limes
½ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp light muscovado sugar
2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
200g cooked and peeled tiger prawn, tails left on
4 spring onions, sliced
25g salted peanut, finely chopped
a small handful of coriander leaves
1 or 2 limes, cut into wedges
sweet chilli sauce
1. Put the noodles in a large heatproof bowl, pour boiling water over them and leave for 4 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold running water.
2. Put the lime juice, cayenne, sugar and fish sauce in a bowl and mix well. Have all the other ingredients ready by the cooker.
3. Heat the oil and fry the prawns until warmed through. Add the spring onions and noodles and toss around.
4. Tip in the lime juice mixture, then stir in the beansprouts and half the peanuts and coriander.
5. Cook for 1 minute until everything is heated through.
6. Pile into a large dish, scatter with the rest of the peanuts and coriander, and serve with lime wedges and sweet chilli sauce.