This recipe uses such simple ingredients but it don’t let that fool you. The taste is amazing and is as close to authentic Bangkok minced pork with holy basil as you’re likely to find. I make this all the time. It’s great for quick lunch or as a side dish in a fancy dinner. P.S. In most spicy dishes, I use about 3 chilies but in this one I can use up to 20. I’m not sure where the heat goes but I’ll leave it to you to judge the amount.
200 g ground pork
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons red Thai chili, pounded
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup water or 1/4 cup pork stock
1/2 cup Thai basil, fresh chopped
1. In a hot pan, add the oil and stir fry garlic and chili until fragrant.
2. Add pork and continue to stir fry on medium heat until almost ready.
3. Keep stir frying and add pork stock as needed.
4. Add oyster sauce, fish sauce, sugar.
5. Increase heat to high and add fresh Thai basil. Keep stir frying for few seconds.
6. Serve with white Basmati rice and fried eggs.
Ta da! A delicious, authentic Thai recipe that can be whipped up in about 10-15 minutes. I’m sure this will not be a one-off for you to cook this.