Combining pork with bamboo is a popular cooking style in Vietnam. The thickness and saltiness of the dark soy sauce combine, permeating the pork to make this Braised Pork with Bamboo Shoots a recipe that is rich and bursting with flavor.
½ onion, sliced thinly
1 lb pork shoulder, cubed into 1″ pieces
3 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 tbsp sugar
2 lbs bamboo shoots, canned or bagged
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1. Season pork with 1 tsp salt and allow to marinate for 1-2 hours.
2. Heat oil in a medium pot.
3. Add onion slices to the oil and cook until softened for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the pieces of meat.
5. Season with the remaining remaining 2 tsp salt, pepper, sugar.
6. Add chopped bamboo shoots, soy sauce and 1 cup of water.
7. Bring up the liquid to a boil and bring down to a simmer.
8. Add more water if necessary and the liquid dries up.
9. Allow to braise for 1 hour or so (until the pork is tender).
10. Serve with a bowl of rice.
And there you have it! A wonderful, delicious Vietnamese recipe prepared with minimal effort.